dxw works with the public and third sectors to create great user focussed services and products.
We’ve been around since 2008 and worked on lots of projects that have made a real difference – from designing and operating transactional customer services to helping with strategy and capability building.
We’re looking for talented people who share our values to join us. We think it’s important to have diverse teams, and aim to create an environment where everyone is supported to do their best and feels free to be themselves.
We’re looking for a permanent Operations Engineer to join our team at dxw, building software and services for the public sector. We also encourage people looking for flexible working arrangements to apply.
dxw’s technical operations team is responsible for developing, maintaining, operating and supporting our technical infrastructure.
Our infrastructure is cloud-based, and we’re improving and iterating our deployment stack over time towards better and more reliable technologies. The team develops, implements and documents these technologies, working with our developers to understand and assist on their operational needs, and doing other client work as needed.
As an Operations Engineer you’ll contribute to work on our platforms, adding to their functionality and robustness. You will also deal with proactive and reactive maintenance, client support and be part of our regular on-call schedule.
You will be the first Operations Engineer based in our growing Leeds office, and will be part of the wider operations team based in London. You will primarily be working from Leeds, though some client work may be necessary at sites in the region and also occasional visits to London for team working.
- enjoy discussing and describe technical problems in simple, lay terms both internally and with clients
- have experience of deployment and management of virtualised infrastructure; for example, Amazon AWS
- are a methodical problem solver, with the ability to keep calm under pressure
- enjoy working collaboratively, as part of a team, towards a common goal
- have familiarity with unix/linux systems (especially Ubuntu/Debian)
- have familiarity with popular open source software, particularly core web technologies such as Nginx, Apache, MySQL
- can diagnose basic problems in a variety of programming languages and make or recommend simple fixes
- may have experience using source control systems (in particular, git), using Chef, Puppet or similar configuration management systems and container-based approaches, for example, Docker
Salary & terms
From £30,000-£50,000, depending on experience.
This permanent role will be based at our Leeds office, with travel to Manchester, York, Sheffield and surrounding areas for client work and occasional travel to our London office as required.
We are also open to applications from mid or senior level Operations Engineers to be based in our London office, with London/experience weighted salary.
Our public sector work means that appointments will be made subject to a background check.
- Annual £1000 personal learning and development allowance
- Interest-free season ticket loans, electric vehicle and cycle to work schemes
- Up to 18 weeks of paid parental leave depending on your situation
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Pension with up to 5% matching contribution from dxw
- Flexible working to support your wellbeing and personal commitments
- Macbook and home office setup budget