dxw works with the public and third sectors to create great user focussed services and products.
We’ve been around since 2008 and worked on lots of projects that have made a real difference – from designing and operating transactional customer services to helping with strategy and capability building.
We’re looking for talented people who share our values to join us. We think it’s important to have diverse teams, and aim to create an environment where everyone is supported to do their best and feels free to be themselves.
We’re looking for a permanent Technical Architect to join our team at dxw, building software and services for the public sector. We also encourage people looking for flexible working arrangements to apply.
This is a technical leadership and architectural design role. As a member of the dxw tech team, you’ll be bringing the technical and non-technical parts of our delivery teams together and ensuring our clients and stakeholders have a clear understanding of what we are building and why.
You’ll help teams set their strategy for projects, making sure work aligns with technical principles and other projects.We try to use the right technology for the problem at hand – here are some of the things our teams typically work with:
- Ruby and Ruby on Rails
- Git and GitHub
- AWS, Docker and Terraform
You won’t be hands on with everything in that list, but you’ll need to be able to drop in and help teams solve problems when they need you. Some examples of the problems you’ll need to help with are:
- setting up the architectural approach, CI/CD and infrastructure for new projects
- integrating third party services like single sign-in
- defining and sharing a technical strategy to help our clients get away from legacy systems
As well as working on client projects you’ll have a couple of days reserved each week to support the development team. Some of the ways you’ll do that are:
- having regular 1:1s with developers you manage
- running recruitment for new team members
- leading discussions at our bi-monthly tech forums
- have expertise in some of the technologies we use, an understanding of a range of technology stacks and the ability to take a balanced approach to technology selection
- are comfortable being part of multiple projects at once
- make and guide effective decisions, explaining clearly how the decision has been reached
- look beyond the immediate technical problem and identify the wider implications
- are keen to share skills and knowledge and support the team through management, mentorship and community building
- have experience leading others, perhaps as a line manager or a technical lead
- understand the importance of secure coding practices – all developers receive security training when they join the team!
If you care about collaboration, continuous improvement and building public services, then dxw is the right place for you.
We welcome non-traditional paths into the development profession and aim to hire the right person for the role, not the right combination of technical keywords.
Salary & terms
From £60,000–£70,000, depending on experience.
Details of our wider benefits package can be found in all job adverts on our website.
Our public sector work means that appointments will be made subject to a background check.
For more information about dxw, visit www.dxw.com or our Playbook where we explain the way we work and our values.
- Annual £1000 personal learning and development allowance
- Interest-free season ticket loans, electric vehicle and cycle to work schemes
- Up to 18 weeks of paid parental leave depending on your situation
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Pension with up to 5% matching contribution from dxw
- Flexible working to support your wellbeing and personal commitments
- Macbook and home office setup budget