As a front-end developer/designer, you will be responsible for the design and build of digital services, as well as maintaining dxw’s portfolio of public sector websites. We build services using a range of technologies, including Ruby on Rails, WordPress and Laravel. As part of a multidisciplinary team, you will use your user-centered design, technical, analytic, and problem-solving skills to build exemplary web sites and services for our clients and their users.
We are looking for an experienced front-end developer and designer who is comfortable working in an agile team. You may have previously worked using agile methods, or have an interest in agile principles. You should be a passionate advocate of good design, able to understand and translate user needs into the product you’re building. We’re looking for someone who is keen to help us improve our design and development approach over time, so that we’re always doing things the best way we can.
The front-end developer/designer will:
- Work in dxw teams to build products and projects using agile and user-centred methodologies throughout, working mainly on front-end code (such as building templates, design and user interaction)
- Assist and support other developers with their work, and take on straightforward back-end development tasks
- Conduct maintenance work on dxw’s portfolio of client services and assist clients with technical queries<
- Help facilitate co-design workshops and work closely with dxw user researchers to understand in depth the user needs we are trying to meet.
- Work with user researchers to translate their findings and insight into actionable outcomes
- Contribute to the selection, deployment and development of the tools we use to build our projects.
Advising clients and working as part of an agile development team
When implementing services, we break projects down into user stories and every member of the team is involved in the agile planning process. We work with clients as a single team, writing and prioritising user stories (design and development tasks) together and discussing their implementation. We work collaboratively to solve problems and often co-locate with our clients during sprints so we work well together.
The front-end developer/designer will:
- Help clients working in non-agile organisations become acquainted with agile principles, aiding the successful delivery of projects and contributing to a wider culture change towards agile ways of working in the public sector
- Participate actively in design and front-end development communities, sharing skills and knowledge with the wider dxw team and learning from others
- Learn from our successes and failures over time, contributing to process improvements when necessary; helping the whole team to innovate, learn and improve
- Mentor members of staff to improve their design and front-end skills.
The following skills are required:
- Strong experience of user centered design, usability and accessibility
- Strong HTML and SCSS/CSS development
- Experience designing and building responsive websites
- Familiarity with Sketch or Adobe Creative Suite
- Excellent written and spoken English; good communicator
The following skills are valuable:
- Familiarity with the tools and packages currently in our development toolchain: Grunt, Composer, Bower, Node/NPM, SCSS/LESS, Git, Vue.js and Laravel.
- Experience of working with products built in PHP, Ruby and Ruby on Rails.
- Familiarity with testing tools, both browser testing and using continuous integration.
- Understanding of the multiplicity of available front-end libraries and tools; ability to recommend the right tool for the job
- Articulate and personable
- Confident and assertive
- Gains genuine satisfaction from being useful and of helping people to understand new concepts
- Good attention to detail
- Well organised and able to manage time independently
- Optimistic problem-solver
Salary & terms
£45-55k, according to experience. This role is based at our offices in Hoxton Square, Central London. Appointment is made subject to a successful background check. You’ll make it easier for us to review your application if you talk us through your previous experience, showing how you’re a good fit for this post!
dxw only accepts unsolicited CVs directly from candidates and does not work with external recruitment agencies or accept the fees associated with them.