dxw digital works across the public sector to research, design, build and operate services that make life better for people.
We’re looking for an Operations Engineer to join our team at dxw, building software and services for the public sector.
dxw’s technical operations team is responsible for developing, maintaining, operating and supporting our technical infrastructure.
Our infrastructure is cloud-based, and we’re improving and iterating our deployment stack over time towards better and more reliable technologies. The team develops, implements and documents these technologies, working with our developers to understand and assist on their operational needs, and doing other client work as needed.
As an Operations Engineer you’ll contribute to work on our platforms, adding to their functionality and robustness. You will also deal with proactive and reactive maintenance, client support and be part of our regular on-call schedule.
You will be the first Operations Engineer based in our growing Leeds office, and will be part of the wider operations team based in London. You will primarily be working from Leeds, though some client work may be necessary at sites in the region and also occasional visits to London for team working.
- enjoy discussing and describe technical problems in simple, lay terms both internally and with clients
- have experience of deployment and management of virtualised infrastructure; for example, Amazon AWS
- are a methodical problem solver, with the ability to keep calm under pressure
- enjoy working collaboratively, as part of a team, towards a common goal
- have familiarity with unix/linux systems (especially Ubuntu/Debian)
- have familiarity with popular open source software, particularly core web technologies such as Nginx, Apache, MySQL
- can diagnose basic problems in a variety of programming languages and make or recommend simple fixes
- may have experience using source control systems (in particular, git), using Chef, Puppet or similar configuration management systems and container-based approaches, for example, Docker
Salary & terms
From £30,000-£50,000, depending on experience.
This permanent role will be based at our Leeds office, with travel to Manchester, York, Sheffield and surrounding areas for client work and occasional travel to our London office as required.
dxw digital supports flexible working arrangements, for more details please see our flexible working policy.
We are also open to applications from mid or senior level Operations Engineers to be based in the London office, with London/experience weighted salary.
Our public sector work means that appointments will be made subject to a background check.
Apply online with your cv and a short cover letter on why you’re interested in the role and dxw.