The systems administrator/developer will be part of the team which develops, maintains, operates and supports our hosting systems: primarily GovPress. They will also assist in the maintenance and development of bespoke deployments for larger projects, as necessary.
The successful candidate will have been in a similar role in the past. They will have worked on virtualised services before and will be familiar with the tools, techniques and vendors widely used by projects deployed to cloud environments. They will be keen to help to improve our operations approach over time, so that we’re always doing things the best way we can.
The systems administrator/developer will be responsible for various administration and support tasks on the WordPress and Ruby on Rails websites we host, as well on their supporting infrastructure.
The systems administrator/developer will:
- Implement improvements to our hosting systems, including systems for improved client self-service and automation
- Work with developers on the operational aspects of their work, contributing to sprints and other client work as needed
- Monitor for and respond to problems on our systems and hosted sites, including client queries and tasks
- Perform routine maintenance on our systems and hosted sites
Skills & experience
The systems administrator/developer must have the following skills:
- Ability to discuss and describe technical problems in simple, lay terms
- Deployment and management of virtualised infrastructure; for example, Amazon AWS
- Familiarity with unix/linux systems
- Familiarity with popular open source software such as Apache, Varnish, MySQL and Nagios
- Familiarity with fundamental internet protocols (HTTP, TCP/IP, DNS, etc)
- Sufficient development experience to be able to diagnose problems in any programming language and make simple fixes
- Experience using source control systems; in particular, git
- Experience using Chef, Puppet or similar configuration management systems
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Ability to approach problems methodically
The following skills would be useful:
- Familiarity with Ubuntu/Debian Linux in particular
- Experience with container-based approaches, eg Docker
- Experience working on projects involving online payments and PCI compliance
- Articulate and personable
- Optimistic problem-solver
- Gains genuine satisfaction from being useful
- Ability to work calmly in a crisis
Salary & terms
Competitive, depending on experience. Appointment is made subject to a successful background check.
dxw only accepts unsolicited CVs directly from candidates and does not work with external recruitment agencies or accept the fees associated with them.